Thanks, Mary R., for your help in figuring these things out and for the idea of mixing the eggs on top rather then leave them whole. I think it would fun to try these in a LARGE muffin pan with a whole egg and see how they turn out!! These regular-sized muffins cannot hold a whole egg! LOL :)
Bacon, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Muffins
2 cups flour
2 T - 1/3 cup sugar (depending on if you like the salty sweet combination)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted (or 1/4 cup oil)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
Topping for muffins:
shredded or thinly sliced cheddar, about 2-4 oz
-Makes about 18 muffins
If bacon needs cooked, start by cooking it in either a frying pan, or in a jelly roll (Large Stoneware Bar Pan) in the oven till crispy. Cube cheddar if needed.
Preheat oven to 425'
1.Mix the dry ingredients for muffin batter in a large mixing bowl, add the milk and butter and mix till just combined. (Batter will still be lumpy). Add cubed cheese and bacon. Mix evenly.
2. Line muffin pan with paper liners. Fill 1/2 full with batter. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from oven, leaving oven on.
4. In a small bowl, beat 3 eggs very well. Spoon about 1/2 - 1 1/2 tablespoonfuls of beaten egg over each baked muffin, trying not to spill over the paper liner. Lightly sprinkle with course salt and pepper.
5. Bake muffins till eggs are done, or about 8-10 minutes. Watch them!
6. Remove muffins from oven. Top with shredded or thinly sliced cheese. Allow to sit until cheese is melted. Serve while still warm!
For visual learners follow along with the photos or.... if you just want to be tempted to make them! :)
|Crispy, perfect bacon. You don't want chewy pieces in your muffins. Nope. Just not good.|
|Chop it up till it's about 1/2''.|
|Thickly slice cheese, then cut it into 1/2'' strips.|
|Mix in cheese! Mmmm|
|Mix in bacon. Use a Medium Scoop to fill muffins 1/2 full.|
|Don't fill muffin liners any fuller than this... this was even a little too much in this picture. Remember they expand and you will be adding eggs, which expand too! Bake.|
|Add thinly sliced cheese, or shredded cheese and let sit till the cheese is all melty and gooey.|