Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Homemade Granola



MMMmmm golden baked homemade granola. Simply delicious!

Here is something delicious and HEALTHY that the kids and I made today. This is the best kind of recipe to do with kids! Just melt, mix, pour, mix and bake! (Well, there's a little more to it than that but it's very simple!) The original granola recipe is from my friend Marett, I've adjusted some of it to what I had here. It's one of those recipes that I've had for years but forgot about. Forget no longer... this stuff is awesome! Just don't forget the vanilla, it adds such a cozy flavor! ha ha

Homemade Granola

Combine and melt in a saucepan:
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup butter
3 T molasses
1 cup raw sugar
1 cup honey
1/2 tsp salt (a MUST! It goes well with the sweet!!)

Take off of heat and add vanilla.

(NOTE: I did not have enough honey so I used part pure maple syrup. Also, I used sweetened coconut so I left out the sugar. It's plenty sweet without it if you make it that way!)

Mix together in a large pot or bowl:
6 cups oats
4 cups coconut
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup slivered almonds
...or whichever nuts...

(Another NOTE of course: I used oats, coconut, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), whole almonds, a few cups of puffed brown rice cereal and sunflower seeds.) I plan to try different nuts/seeds.

Pour melted mixture onto oat mixture. (By adding less dry ingredients, it will be a stickier, thicker granola- otherwise it's pretty fine crumbles). Make sure the mixture is all "wet".

Bake at 350' for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or until browned. Be careful not to burn it!

Add raisins or dried cranberries while it's still warm.
This recipe makes MANY cups! I should have measured but I'm guessing that it makes like 20 cups?? A LOT anyway! Store in airtight containers or use a vacuum pack sealer.

It's great for trips, easy breakfast or snacks!


The granola on the left is with Craisins, the one on the right is without. (Our oldest doesn't prefer the fruit in it..silly kid!)
 Serve warm, cooled or in milk! Mmmm The kids couldn't get enough of it!

1 comment:

Betsy Jo said...

Mmm...I want to try this in the dehydrator. :)